All good things must come to an end - some sooner than later. And I am telling you this because As Within has come to a close, at least for now. It's been a lot of fun, and I have very much enjoyed sharing these pictures and the inspiring quotes to go with them. If you are curious to know why this blog is on hiatus, you can visit this post at shirleytwofeathers. Each person who visited here is deeply appreciated. Thank you so much for giving me an audience and (on my worst days) a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

What is dark..

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

What is dark clings to what is light and so enhances the brightness of the latter. A luminous thing giving out light must have within itself something that perseveres; otherwise it will in time burn itself out. Everything that gives light is dependent on something to which it clings, in order that it may continue to shine.

Thus the sun and moon cling to heaven, and grain, grass, and trees cling to the earth. So too the twofold clarity of the dedicated man clings to what is right and thereby can shape the world. Human life on earth is conditioned and unfree, and when man recognizes this limitation and makes himself dependent upon the harmonious and beneficent forces of the cosmos, he achieves success.

~I Ching

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Success is a sense of being and reconnecting to what you are. I value the I Ching perspective. It reminds us we cling to ideas and experiences that aren't real. We benefit from learning to let go of illusions. Its meaningful to rediscover our own quest for truth.

Anonymous said...

Good point! I especially love the image of the grass clinging to the earth. It sounds so loving!

Anonymous said...

The 30th hexagram. I was just reading something about how everything originates out of fire. Not sure if that is true, but the book is interesting.

Lovely image.

Catherine

TOMAS said...

This is worthy of remark indeed. Yes, What is dark clings to what is light and so enhances the brightness of the latter. Thus I question myself, am I dark of bright? Am I what I am, or what I ought to be?
Your post rose the questions that help locate myself in my emotions and thus rejoice over the divine truth consciously and passionately - to live responsible. Thank you.
You are heartily welcomed to my Candleday http://candleday.wordpress.com/
I hope you will enjoy my pictures and our pen friendship will enable me to participate in the life feast. I say thus, because it is impossible to share the light if we stay alone. If I a am alone, then I am neither dark nor bright and my words are just empty musing, but that becomes otherwise at a moment we exchange our thoughts and the spread the gratitude not in our dreams but with the daily deeds. Thank you.

Shirley Twofeathers said...

Hi Thomas... thank you so much for your thought provoking comment. You are appreciated... and a light for sure!